The Champagne Fitness Centre is located in a historic downtown building just a stones throw from ByWard Market. It has a 22.86m (25 yard) four-lane pool, weight, cardio, sauna, and mezzanine above the pool where boxing classes are held. A large tile mural titled Bathing in Champagne is featured at the pool area.
Officially, the Champagne Bath is a historic public bath in Ottawa (Ontario), Canada. It is located at Lower Town, 321 King Edward Avenue.
It was built originally to improve hygiene for the mostly working-class area residents. Many did not have bathrooms at home. It also contained a library. Built in 1921, the building is still standing. It was completed in 1924. The building was designed by Werner Ernst Noffke. It is a mixture of Prairie Styles and the Spanish Colonial Revival. It is named after Napoleon Champagne, Ottawa’s mayor. It was Ottawa’s first municipal swimming lane and the first indoor pool in Canada. It also used salt water, which meant it didn’t have to be chlorinated. The Plant Bath was built on the west side.
Separated by sex, it was opened with separate entrances at ground level for men and women in 1967. The facility was very popular over the years, but it has been declining in use. The city recommended closing the Champagne Bath after the Le Patro facility had been completed in 1980. After public protest, the city decided to renovate it instead. It cost about two million dollars. It was renovated and opened in 1990.
Features and amenities
- Change Rooms – gender-specific
- Parking is free
- On site parking
- Accessibility features
- Change rooms
- Reception desks
- Swimming in the adult lane can be a fun and relaxing activity.
- The water temperature ranges between 25@C to 27@C. It is much cooler than other city-operated pools that can get too hot. It’s great! I love to swim there when I visit Ottawa.
- Today I went swimming and was humbled by the kindness of older people. They were very friendly and helpful, and provided tons of information.
- Excellent community gym, with weight room and lap pool. It is comfortable and clean, and well-maintained. It is small enough to avoid the children’s rush hour to the pool. The weight room is the same.
- Friendly staff.
- This is a great gym for the whole community. You will find a lot of weight machines, and plenty to choose from. It is also not too crowded.
- It is in a great location and very clean. It isn’t a problem, even though the change rooms are small.
- It is a magnificent facility. It is bright and sunny, with a $5 tax-in. There are also yearly passes available for seniors, which are extremely affordable.
From Jordco Pools to Champagne Fitness Centre
Driving Directions from Champagne Fitness Centre to Canterbury Community Association: Take St. Patrick St/Ottawa Regional Rd 44, Ottawa Regional Rd 19 and Industrial Ave/Ottawa Regional Rd 30 to Arch St. Continue on Arch St to your destination.
From Champagne Fitness Centre to Canterbury Community Association