Everything You Need to Know About Water Features for Swimming Pools
Modern pool water features add a touch of class to a drab backyard pool. A simple bubbler or two adds a little whimsy to the water, but a stunning spillover spa can give your pool that wow factor.
Read on to learn about the different types of water features for swimming pools, and how they can add pizzazz to your backyard swimming pool.
What are the Different Types of Water Features?
- Deck Jets. Deck Jets are typically installed along the pool deck, so they shoot a stream of water into the pool. They can be positioned any way and customized with lights to add a bit more drama.
- Waterfalls. Waterfalls are traditionally built to look like they are tumbling over rocks, but they can also be made with modern tiling and geometric shapes. They are often situated along the pool edge but can be installed inside the pool itself to create an island. Sheer descent waterfalls, or “rain curtains”, are a type of water feature that involves water flowing over a sheet of glass to create a curtain effect. Lights, or other water feature types, can be combined with the waterfall to create a truly artistic experience.
- Fountains. Fountains are a solid choice for pools that don’t have much space around them since they are typically installed inside the pool instead of along the deck. Pool fountains can be as simple as a single jet arcing into the water from the edge of the pool, or a more elaborate floating fountain.
- Waterslide. If you are looking for something fun, you can’t go wrong with a waterslide. These can take virtually any shape, whether you want something kid-friendly or a bit more aesthetically pleasing for the bigger kids (aka adults).
- Scuppers. Scuppers are openings in the pool wall that allow water to flow into the pool. They can look like round pipes or flat rectangular openings that allow water to fall like a sheet.
- Fire and Water Bowls. Water Bowls and Fire Bowls can be made of concrete, metal or other fire-safe material. They feature a bed of lava rocks, a gas burner at the center of the bowl, and a scupper along the side of the bowl for water to pour out into the pool. Fire and water bowls can be used individually or in a stunning display with more than one bowl.
- Bubblers. Bubblers are single-jet fountains that remain low to the surface and shoot straight upward, creating the effect of water cascading down over itself. Individual bubblers can be installed for a smaller water feature, but they often come in groups. Lights can also be added for a more dramatic effect.
- Spillover Spa. A spillover spa is a hot tub with one lower edge that allows water to cascade from the spa into the deep end of a swimming pool. Spillover spas are highly customizable, using pool tile and lights to create your desired effect.
- Outdoor Showers. An outdoor shower may sound more practical than aesthetic, but the sky is really the limit for their design. Creating a purely functional shower is a missed opportunity since its design can be integrated into the overall beauty of your pool.
Check out this gallery of 50 Spectacular Swimming Pool Waterfalls & Water Features from theSpruce.com for more ideas and inspiration.
Can I Add a Water Feature to My Existing Pool?
The simple answer to this is “yes”. You can certainly add a water feature to your existing pool, but there are some considerations to think of if this is the route you want to take.
Some water features are prefabricated and portable, so they can be added with no problems. Most water features, however, require professional design, installation and even some construction. Ideally, it’s best to install a water feature when the pool is being built.
Pros and Cons of Modern Pool Water Features
Whether you are enhancing a brand-new pool or adding to your existing pool, there are a few pros and cons that come with swimming pool water features. Take a moment to read on and consider whether installing a water feature is right for you.
- Water features enhance the visual appeal of your pool. A well-designed, well-built water feature can add dramatic flair to your pool.
- Water features have a Zen quality. The sound and sight of cascading water has a soothing quality that can help relax away the worries of the day.
- Circulation keeps water cleaner. A modern water feature helps to circulate the water in your pool so that it doesn’t need to be cleaned as often.
- Water features build value. A beautifully designed water feature will improve the overall value of your property.
- Water features require maintenance. Anything that involves mechanical parts will eventually require maintenance and water features are no exception.
- Possible weather damage. Larger water features that are exposed to the elements may be damaged by inclement weather.
- Swimming pool waterfall material erosion. The material used to construct your waterfall may erode over time through the force of the water.
Things to Consider Before Installing Pool Water Features
If installing a modern pool water feature when your pool is being constructed is not an option, you will need to work with a professional who can determine if the existing mechanics can support the kind of water feature you would like.
Different features, whether they are bubblers or swimming pool waterfalls, have different needs in terms of drainage, filtration and pump strength. Installing a water feature that requires more than your pool mechanics can deliver is a recipe for disappointment and repair bills.
Spa-Like Bliss, Day or Night
Consider the addition of lighting when installing a water feature. Pool lights are good for safety, for effect and for entertaining your friends.
You can choose to light your entire pool area or just highlight a stunning water feature with well-placed spotlighting. For something a little more on the fun side, why not have underwater coloured lights for a creative disco effect?
Lighting water features for swimming pools helps you make the most of your favourite spot, any time of day or night.
Jordco designs and installs stunning inground pools and pool water features throughout the Ottawa region. Let us help you create the backyard oasis of your dreams. Contact us to get started with your next project.